Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 4, 5 & 6...

Wow...Lots to fill you in on!

Our day at sea on Saturday was uneventful. We used the time to kick back and relax. Stayed out of the sun on lounge chairs by the pool. They had plenty of activities (pool olympics) and different music. It was really nice.

The dinner at the diningroom was fabulous - as expected. The 2 couples we are sitting with are wonderful and we have a great time. After dinner we go find somewhere with them for an after dinner drink. Our sitting for dinner isn't until 9pm, so by the time we leave there, have a drink or two and get back to our room, it's well after 1am. That's ok when we have a day at sea the next day, but when you have to get up early for an excursion -- it's tiring, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Greg is still struggling with his gout. I ended up doing Athens by myself as well. However he did come with me today to Santorini.

My heat rash is nasty. I did go to the infirmary, but the guy behind the desk knew right away what it was and sold me some anti-itch cream. No cost for consultation, thankfully! Our wonderful British tablemates refer to it as 'corned beef on the leg' -- or something like that. So I don't know what kind of image that conjurs up in your head, but it's probably not far from the truth. Maybe I'll have to take pictures... lol

Athens was great!!! The tour took us to the Acropolis and then to the shopping district. :-) It's interesting having some of these old old old remements of ancient Greece mixed in with all the current structures.

Today was Santorini. It is beautiful! All the light colored building (mostly white) against the dark volcanic rock that it sits on. We went to the city of Oai where we had some time to do a little shopping. The scenery all around the island is spectacular. From there we stopped a local winery for samples. Wine making in Santorini is coming to end. No money in it, I guess. The mountain sides have all these little caves that they built into them for storing the grapes, etc as part of the wine making process -- all back in the day. Now they use them for storage or for the donkeys... We then were taking to another small village where we took a cable car down to the tender to get to our ship.

I don't know if I'm taking enough pictures yet. I have about 45o -- but some people say they already have over a 1000.... I guess I better get 'clicking'...

Tomorrow we are at sea again. Tomorrow night is our second formal dinner. I feel so under dressed at these things. A lot of woman go all out on their outfits. I just couldn't justify spending money on something I will most likely only where once. I need that money for my scrapbooking supplies! ;-)

The weather has been fantastic! Clear blue skies pretty much every day and hot! hot! hot!!!

Next destination is Naples, Italy. Until then -- have a great day!

4 comments:

dwilson said...

heh J!
Sounds like a FABULOUS trip! I received your postcard today from Venice. I'm SOOO envious!

Get clicking and I am sure there will be some hours of picture review when you get back!

cheers!

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear that you had to do Athens by yourself.......but so glad to hear Greg could do Santorini with you........the pictures of there look beautiful!! I can't wait to see yours! Stay well.....I hope your rash is on the mend!

Hugs, P

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having a fabulous time! Too bad Greg is missing out on some of the excursions. Hope he's feeling better soon.

How's your rash doing now that you've got the cream?

I think you're probably taking enough pictures. You're just used to taking pictures so you don't need to take as many because all yours turn out the way you want them too :-)

Margo said...

Been loving reading all about your adventures!!! Sending healing vibes to Greg and for your itchy rash!!