Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Spanish Adventure...

Today was a day of learning.

We did manage to get out Valencia without any problems and we also made it to our hotel in Cartagena without issue. I can only hope that Madrid is as easy tomorrow!

The drive from Valencia and Cartagena was lovely. It was a little in the mountains (which Greg loved) and a little seaside. I loved all the terra cotta houses. I tried to get some pictures, but the are not very good.

By the way, I don´t think I mentioned what we´re driving in Spain. It´s a Citroen. I´m not sure what model, but it´s a good one -- fully loaded, leather seats and all. Greg preferred the Alfa we drove in Italy tho.

So anyways -- we arrived in Cartagena around 5:30 or so. We settled into our room and then headed out for dinner. We walked for about an hour, but could not find anything open. Went back to the hotel and asked. They told us about a place a few blocks away. Walked there -- not open unti 8pm. Walked back to the hotel and relaxed and went back just after 8. I guess the Spanish like to eat late. Also, there´s the ´siesta´ that they take in the afternoon. Everything is closed in the afternoon.

We didn´t experience this in Barcelona because where we were staying (Ramblas) is a big tourist attraction, so everything is open. By the time we got to Valencia and went for dinner it was after 8, so it never occured to us that nothing would be open at 6pm. Oh well. Now we know!

Anyways, we go to the restaurant. They pegged us as english speaking right away and brought both an english and spanish menu. There were no prices and the selections were -- interesting, to say the least. Beef, Ox, Duck, fish, and other stuff we weren´t sure of. So the waiter comes to take our order. I point to what I want -- asparagus salad and the beef. The waiter shuts the menu and starts to go, when Greg takes it from him and orders the pork. A few minutes later someone else comes to the table and asks if I ordered the Sea Bass. ????? No. So I open the menu and show him. He asks what kind of sauce... I pick one. A while later the asparagus salad comes -- which is white asparagus (never had that) with a red sauce. It was quite good. Then what we thought was my ´main course´comes out. They put down a plate with barely cooked slices of steak and then they put down a hot grill, sprinkled with sea salt. It´s a ´cook your own´meat deal. So I start to cook the beef, but nothing has been brought out for Greg. So we share the beef with the rockefort (sp?) sauce and an order of fries (I couldn´t understand anything else he said... LOL). Good thing we did share, because there was a LOT of meat and we were concerned that they would bring the pork out later -- but I guess they just ignored his order. So after some dessert (chocolate cake) and a shot of lemon snapps, we are now back at the hotel. Considering the language barrier, we managed ok... lol and we enjoyed the food!

As for Valencia and Cartegena, although I enjoyed the travelling between the two cities, the cities themselves are kind of boring. Not much to see. I have no pictures (except of the hotel) in Valencia and I have a picture of Greg in front of a fountain in Cartegena. Oh well. It was still a good journey.

Tomorrow I hope to get up early and head to straight to Madrid -- no scenic route. It´s 4.5 hours and I would like to do some touring around, since we won´t have any time on Friday. We have a 12:30ish flight back home.

Health wise -- my rash had pretty much gone away and the swelling is down -- but not gone. Greg´s gout is still here and really starting to both him. I think I may have a cold. My sinuses are bugging me and my throat is sore. It also might be because I didn´t sleep well last night. Hopefully tonite will be better and I´ll feel better in the morning.

Anyways -- just 2 more nights and then we are on our way home! I´m sad and glad at the same time. I would love to tour around some more, but I´m also looking forward to seeing my furbabies and sleeping in my own bed. Although knowing that Sweat Pea won´t be there will be sad... :-( Going back to work -- not looking forward to so much... lol

I´m sure I´m forgetting some other important piece of information that Greg wanted me to pass on. I´ll try to remember it and post tomorrow...

Well that´s it! Good night!

No comments: